On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:52:58AM -0700, Witham, Timothy D wrote:
> Ok, if you can guarantee that a gmetad will never hear from an old and a
> new gmond at the same time, then you might be right.

no, the objective is to allow a gmetad to pull and summarize correctly from
3.0 or 3.1 gmond.

the current fix allows for a 3.1 gmetad to hear from 3.0 and 3.1
gmond and do the summary right (that was tested to work by having 1 cluster of
each 3.0 and 3.1 with 1 machine each and validating the grid summary to be
correct).

> I just wanted to
> handle that case and make sure that all numbers add up correctly, no
> matter what type they happen to be.

i think the current code also allows for gmetad hierarchies to do the summary
right, because 3.1 will use (unless I misunderstood the code) float types for
memory metrics anyway, but haven't yet test that.

do you have any probe otherwise?

Carlo