"Brad Nicholes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 04:31:37PM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>> In reality there should be no reason for an application to ever include
>> gm_metric.h in addition to ganglia.h anyway.  gm_metric.h only contains
>> definitions that are specific to a metric module.  There is nothing in
>> gm_metric.h that an application would require for any purpose.
>>
>> the first lines for gmond/gmond.c seem to contradict that (all other
>> mistakes
>> already fixed in r1193 as shown before for mod_example.c)
>>
>>    484     massie #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
>>    484     massie #include "config.h"
>>    484     massie #endif
>>   1146  bnicholes #include <ganglia.h> /* for the libgmond messaging */
>>   1146  bnicholes #include <gm_metric.h>
>>   1146  bnicholes
>>
>> and are obviously resulting in a broken build as reported
>>

> That is because gmond has to implement the metric module interface.  This is
> a unique instance that applies only to gmond and nothing else.  No other
> utilities have to implement the interface that requires ganglia.h and
> gm_metric.h to come together.  So the only question is whether this one
> unique instance is causing any problem for cygwin or any other platform where
> rpcgen doesn't do the right thing.  If it is then we can take measures to fix
> this problem rather than require all metric modules to do something
> unnecessary.

I just added a patch to the headers (r1207) that adds an extra guard around the
inclusion of gm_protocol.h from ganglia.h and gm_metric.h.  This solves the
multiple definitions when building gmond on a platform whose rpcgen doesn't
generate the appropriate guards in the generated header.  No other utility or
module should have this same problem.  Even if they do, the protection is in
place to prevent the problem there as well.

Brad