On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:56:31AM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > IMHO, even if libganglia uses apr internally having it also to require apr
> > headers might not be a good idea.
> >
> > Carlo
>
> I'll see what I can figure out.  Although I'm not sure that this can be helped

in a similar context, currently libmetrics won't build in cygwin or solaris,
because metrics.c for both platforms requires apr headers through the use of
ganglia_priv.h (which shouldn't be there either, because libmetrics is
obviously not part of the internal ganglia code and should be using the public
API instead).

linux builds (but it is broken as well), with all the other platforms, because
for some reason it missed the include to ganglia.h, which is needed so that
err_msg and debug_msg from libganglia are correctly defined.

> I am thinking that in order to break the dependancy for gstat and gmetad, we
> are going to have to break down the public header files into more than just
> three

the limit of 3 for the number of public headers available is not a hard
requisite, but the reflection that there are 3 headers at minimum to interact
with libganglia and that correspond to :

1) the API to libganglia
2) the API to the gmond modular metrics (which include libganglia)
3) protocol.h, for the generated XDR definition from protocol.x which is part
of libganglia and that is only an independent file because is generated.

more files don't change the fact that there are ideally only 2 entry points
into the functionalities that are exported and so, if using libganglia
requires using apr (that doesn't seem to be true for gmetad or gstat) then
every user of libganglia should be made aware of that and fixed.

I suspect though, that the public interface that libganglia is currently
exporting (and that also includes confuse) should be simplified instead as it
is obviously not that critical/useful if somehow 50% of the known
applications linked against libganglia aren't using it.

Carlo