Hi Timothy:

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Witham, Timothy D
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Correct.  The gmetad pulling from clusters must get all the data from
>  all hosts since it logs RRDs for all hosts, clusters and the summary for
>  the grid of clusters.  Unfortunately, it hands all this data out to any
>  higher parent gmetads which recalculate the single sum that they need.
>  Finally when you get to a grandparent gmetad, you get a much smaller sum
>  from the parent of the leaf gmetad.

So does it mean that if I want to have a gmetad whose sole purpose in
life is to suck down data from other gmetads, it has no choice but to
receive *all* metrics data from port 8651?  It sounds like what I
really want is for gmetad.conf to support the following syntax:

data_source "grid1" grid1:8652:"/?filter=summary"

Is something like this possible right now?

>  Exactly.  The /?filter=summary on the interactive port is even more
>  information than the calling gmetad needs since it needs only the final
>  sum, not the sums of each of the sources.  A new command to send only
>  the final grid sum is what we need.  I quickly hacked
>
>          write(sock->sockfd, "/?filter=summary\n",
>                sizeof("/?filter=summary\n"));
>
>  into data_thread.c just before it starts reading from sock and
>  configured a data source to read from interactive port.  This works but
>  gets a double count I assume because of the redundant data in the XML.
>  Unfortuantely, the hack causes gmond sources to close connection
>  prematurely I assume because of the unexpected input.  But if we fixed
>  the code to accept input from the connecting gmetads, then we would only
>  need 1 port and we could request only the data needed.

I'll let you work out the details, but what is the purpose of the
interactive port?  Who/what actually makes use of the filtering?  Is
it for data processing for the web frontend?

I think I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel ;-)

Cheers,