On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Bernard Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Right now I am working on the upgrade path from 3.0.x to 3.1.x.  Since
>  there are diffs between 3.0.x gmond and 3.1.x gmond, I am proposing
>  the following changes in the spec file during upgrade:
>
>  %postun
>  gmond -t > /tmp/gmond.conf.old /* generate default conf from 3.0.x */
>
>  %post
>  gmond -t > /tmp/gmond.conf /* generate default conf from 3.1.x */
>  diff -ru /tmp/gmond.conf.old /tmp/gmond.conf > /tmp/gmond.conf.patch
>  cd /etc/ganglia
>  cp gmond.conf gmond.conf.3.0.x
>  patch -p2 < /tmp/gmond.conf.patch
>
>  This *should* correctly update the old conf to the new conf.
>
>  I guess the real question is whether we should automate this, or let
>  the user manually fix this themselves...
>
>  Thoughts?

How about doing it both ways?

If there is an existing /etc/gmond.conf, then create a new "patched"
file as something like /etc/gmond.conf.upgrade_from_3.0.x.  This
leaves the existing file alone, reducing the risk of breaking
something.  Also, a big message about moving this file into place
should also be displayed, telling the admin that to finish the
upgrade, they need to move the new file into place.

For a new install (e.g. there's no /etc/gmond.conf file), just install
the file, of course.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG Fingerprint -- BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0 2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2