I've been hacking on ganglia, to add the ability to access highly
granular historical data.  This consists of a new php page, which shows
a graph for 1 attribute on 1 host at the time of your choice, a script
which runs as a cronjob in order to copy data from
/var/lib/ganglia/rrds/**/*.rrd to /var/lib/ganglia/hist/**/*.rrd, (I
found that when saving a month of data at 4 samples per minute, my
system was spending much time waiting for IO), and some hacks to
graph.php.  Has anybody else played with the ability to look at
arbitrary hours rather than just the most recent hour?

Also, I am curious as to how the performance of rrdtool would be
affected if we were to store related metrics in a single rrd file:
e.g., we could group cpu_(user,system,idle,wio,nice) in a single file,
which I think would reduce the resource usage of gmetad significantly.

Any thoughts on either of these things?