Folks,

I've made some changes to ganglia 3.0.7 gmond code to provide aggregated disk IO
statistics for linux hosts. Since a given host can have one or more disks, the
values from each individual disk are aggregated to a sum or to a max.

It seems like a lot of folks are using a wrapper for iostat command to send data
via gmetric. While this is also a useful approach, I thought it would be nice
and convenient to have this reported from gmond, although the data
would be summarized
for an entire host. The code simply reads from either /proc/partitions
or /proc/diskstats, and
maintains the old and the new values for each disk to calculate the diff.

These are the new metrics that were added:

  Ganglia_metric_cb_define("io_readtot",          io_readtot_func);
  Ganglia_metric_cb_define("io_readkbtot",        io_readkbtot_func);
  Ganglia_metric_cb_define("io_writetot",         io_writetot_func);
  Ganglia_metric_cb_define("io_writekbtot",       io_writekbtot_func);
  Ganglia_metric_cb_define("io_svctmax",          io_svctmax_func);
  Ganglia_metric_cb_define("io_queuemax",         io_queuemax_func);
  Ganglia_metric_cb_define("io_busymax",          io_busymax_func);

If you are interested, you can download and try out the source here:

http://www.remnantone.com/pkgs/ganglia/ganglia-3.0.7_io.tar.gz

and the README doc about the modifications I've made:

http://www.remnantone.com/pkgs/ganglia/README

I have been running this modified gmond for sometime at work and it
worked out quite
nicely.

I don't know how relevant this is considering the pending move to more modular
framework for gmond core metrics in 3.1.x, but hopefully it will be
useful for folks still dependent on version 3.0.x. Having said that,
I'd be happy to help
integrate these metrics into 3.1.x framework as .so loadable modules,
if there's sufficient
interest.

Thanks!
JB