Nicholes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The metrics generated with gmetric are being tagged in the XML as coming
> from
>> gmond instead.
>>

> I'll take a look at this but the real question is "do we care?".  One of the
> items that was brought up back when we were discussing the wish list is that
> a metric is a metric no matter where it came from.  Other than being able
> differentiate a real metric from a gmetric in the web front end, the XML
> SOURCE tag really has no meaning.  And I'm not sure that being able to tell
> the difference between a metric vs. a gmetric in the web front end is
> valuable information to the user either.  My vote would be to remove the
> gmetric display section from the web front end and just display everything as
> a metric.

Since the XDR packet refactoring, there isn't a difference between a metric and
a gmetric
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=474C506F.6720.00AC.0%40novell.com).
  Everything is just a metric.  Before the XDR refactoring, a gmetric was a
completely different type of XDR packet.  Now, everything is reported through
two packet types, a metric metadata packet or a metric value packet.  The
SOURCE attribute in the XML is just there to make sure that an older Gmetad
could read the newer XML.  I don't believe there is any need to differentiate
between the two types of metrics and I think that the gmetric link in the front
end should be removed.  If there is such a need, the source could be added back
as <EXTRA_DATA> on the metric.

Brad