Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The following proposed patch for stable 3.1, removes all references to C/C++
> as a supported language for building DSO metrics as it was meaningless and
> only relevant when used with scripted metric modules.
>
> It simplifies the code by making "language" an optional parameter and
> includes
> feedback from Brad into the documentation.
>
> Contains changes from r1490 and r1500
>
> Carlo
> ---

-1

The more I look at this, the more I would rather that the changes be reverted
and we just leave it alone.  AFAICT, the only issue here is whether the "/C++"
portion of the language label "C/C++" is misleading enough to cause a developer
to waste a significant amount of time attempting to write a module in C++ only
to find out that it can't be done today.  Since this language label only
appears as an optional parameter to the language directive in a module block as
well as being referenced in the module configuration documentation of Gmond, I
seriously doubt that these references are going to cause any developer serious
heartache in the short term.  There have already been patches committed to
trunk to support the development of a C++ module and these patches have already
been proposed for backport in the next minor revision.  So all we are really
talking about is a very slight misuse of the label "C/C++" between the actual
release of 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 which will probably only s
 pan just a few months at the most.  Also to my knowledge, I am the only one
that has ever written a "C/C++" class module (so far) and since I am completely
aware that developing a module in C++ is not supported yet, I don't believe
that we are misleading many developers in anyway.  There was an issue raised on
the mailing list where a developer was attempting to compile a C language
module with a C++ compiler, but the obvious solution was to switch to the
correct compiler, not change code and documentation.

At the very worst, the choice of the term 'language' as a directive name is
really the issue.  As I explained before, gmond only supports one interface and
that is "C/C++" (yes, C++ is not fully supported today, but will be very soon).
 All gmond needs to know is if it should handle the module loading or not.  The
term 'language' was chosen because it seemed like the easiest way to
communicate to an administrator what kind of value was expected for this
directive.  We could have used one of the terms 'Class', 'ModuleClass' or
'ModuleType' rather than 'Language' to accomplish the same thing.  It really
doesn't matter what the term ultimately is, we just needed some way to inform
not only gmond but also every other module interface plugin which module
configuration blocks each plugin needs to handle.  At the very most, I would
consider changing the configuration directive term from 'language' to
'ModuleClass' or 'ModuleType', but that is really all that might need to be
done to
  resolve the issue.  As it stands, the term 'Language' is probably good enough
and whether the language label is "C/C++" rather than "C", really doesn't
matter.  Especially after we release 3.1.2.  For now I would suggest that we
revert the changes and add one sentence to the documentation that simply states
that C++ is not fully support yet, but will be very soon.

Brad