On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One of the reasons why doing gmetad/frontend first might be better is that
> since 3.0 the way external metrics (the ones generated with gmetric) is
> managed in the frontend has changed.
>
> If you have gmetric generated metrics in your clusters, when you upgrade to
> 3.1 in the frontend, you will see them all together with the "core metrics"
> that come from gmond in an consistent way for all your clusters regardless
> of which version of gmond are you running on them.
>
> If you are using a 3.0 frontend instead, then it will keep all gmetrics in
> a different page than the core metrics, but only for the clusters that are
> running 3.0, while lumping all of them together for the ones that are
> migrated to 3.1 instead which might be confusing and unstable (as it will
> change as more clusters are migrated from one version to the other).
>
> Other than that, as Brad said, the XML interface between gmetad/gmond has been
> kept backward compatible both ways and therefore it should work either way.

I am running a 3.0.x gmetad which aggregates data from other gmetads,
one of which has been upgraded to 3.1.x.  Because we changed memory
units from uint32 to float in 3.1.x, the summing of mem_total of all
the clusters is thus incorrect.

Cheers,