Ganglia does not need an auto configuration tool.

Updated configuration files in large clusters has been addressed by several
other mechanisms.

One of the advantages of open source, and what makes it powerful, is using
several simple tools, to build something greater.

Effort spent on designing and implementing auto configuration tools for
Ganglia should be directed at improving the core features of data collection
& display.

FYI - we have very large clusters.  We use xcat to install RH systems.
The RH install sub-system, anaconda, provides for scripted installs.
Based upon the systems hostname, we place a gmond config file approriate for
that host.
If we change something between installs,  then we use a parallel shell tool
to load new config file out to that cluster in a single command.

Others use cfengine, which I've heard good things about.

That said.  It is open source, you're free to spend your time as you like.
I've not contributed anything to ganglia ... so, feel a bit presumptuous in
knocking someone else's ambitions.

--
Ron Reeder