> Ganglia does not need an auto configuration tool.

> Updated configuration files in large clusters has been addressed by several
> other mechanisms.

This was not my problem.  My problem was hundreds of small to medium clusters,
constantly changing.  Static or manual configuration could not keep up.  So I
had no choice but to automate.  It actually looks for changes several times per
day.  When someone moves a machine, my ganglia now automatically reflect the
change within a few hours.

Granted, there could be existing ways of distributing this changing
configuration to machines.  But since I had no experience with that, it was
easier to do it myself with a simple perl wrapper around gmond and gmetad.

> One of the advantages of open source, and what makes it powerful, is using
> several simple tools, to build something greater.

Of course.  That's why I use perl every day.  :-)

> Effort spent on designing and implementing auto configuration tools for
> Ganglia should be directed at improving the core features of data collection
> & display.

Well, I have done a little of that too.  There are 8 bugzillas with my name in
them, most with patches.

> If we change something between installs,  then we use a parallel shell tool
> to load new config file out to that cluster in a single command.

This is actually how I run my gmond wrapper, multiple times per day.

-twitham