On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 03:47:32PM -0400, Jason A. Smith wrote:

> One reason is to write its pid file, normally into /var/run/gmetad.pid,
> which usually only root can do.  As far as I know, this is how most
> daemons operate.  Initially start as root, do a few things like write
> the pid file and like you mentioned, bind to privileged ports if
> necessary, then drop privileges.

This is easilly solved by using /var/run/gmetad/ to store the pid with the
directory owned by whatever user gmetad runs as. Then you run with
daemon --user ganglia $GMETAD --pid-file=/var/run/ganglia/gmetad.pid
and everything is still fine without any root privileges.

At the moment though the init doesn't tell gmetad to use a pid file
anyway so this can't be the only reason.

Cheers,
Kostas