On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 08:34:09PM +0100, Kostas Georgiou wrote:

> It doesn't need to bind privileged ports or anything else
> that requires root privileges as far as I can tell

with the default configuration it needs root privileges so it can setuid
to whatever is configured to run as (nobody upstream, ganglia in fedora and
configured using the setuid_username entry in gmetad.conf)

the configuration option "setuid off" could be used to workaround this code
or the code could be enhanced (as shown by the patch posted) to workaround
this issue.

the same applies to gmond except that the configuration to use there is the
global boolean:

  setuid = no

Carlo