On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:48:50AM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:

> But there have been some significant patches added to 3.1.1 including a
> fix for a segfault in gmetad.

and a fix for tcpconn failures and errors as well as spelled in the release
notes from the STATUS file.

> Due mainly to the segfault patch, I am proposing that we tag and roll a
> testing tarball of 3.1.1 within the next week

agree, but even if we agreed before to the process of releasing requiring
a tag and a stable package, I suspect (specially based on the recent history
with 3.1.0) that the process will be instead :

* release a snapshot package for testing (3.1.0.1696?) and wait for feedback
* tag 3.1.1 (hopefully after no changes were required from the testing cycle
  and except for the required changes in configure to make it a stable
  package) and then wait for the 2 weeks.

> with a goal of shipping 3.1.1 two weeks after the tag.

I am not sure about the two weeks here either, as the last release cycle had
shown can't be that effective in finding bugs, probably because of the
complexity of setting up a ganglia test environment or to the fact that no
much testing is being done anyway, because we haven't provided for clear
guidelines on what needs to be tested.

and which should include at least :

* which platform are you testing it on (OS name and version), which
  architecture (CPU type and bitness), do you have binary packages provided
  to use, do they work?
* does the ganglia package build from source in your platform? does also
  gmetad? does it provide for loadable modules and static builds or only static
  builds? does it build python module support? any warnings reported when
  building it?
* after building it, does gmond -m provide a list of available modules?
* if python module support was enabled, can a simple python module be loaded
  and used? does tcpconn.py work stable?
* if upgrading from an older version of ganglia (not including 3.1.0) does the
  configuration converter (for 2.5) or manual update (for 3.0) produce an
  equivalent working configuration?
* if able to update (or setup for testing) two or more gmond are they able to
  work together and report valid metrics for a cluster?, do they work OK
  using multicast, unicast or both.
* can your new 3.1.1 gmetad be configured to pull data from your existing
  environment without problems or misreporting metrics when compared with your
  current gmetad?
* can you use 3.1.1 in a hierarchical dispatcher configuration with your
  current gmetad?, if able to upgrade (or setup for testing) two 3.1.1 gmetad
  can they be configured in a hierarchical dispatcher configuration?
* do gmond or gmetad work reliably (not crashing or needing a restart) during
  the test window, is the memory utilization stable and CPU load under the
  expected values when compared with your current production environment?
* is there anything else you had found during your test cycle that you would
  like to be addressed?, is it something that worked before and doesn't now (a
  regression)?

Carlo