On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 08:42:57AM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:16:53AM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
> >>
> >> But Carlo could probably create a snapshot for
> >> testing purposes and we'll sync up on Wednesday to determine what else
> >> needs to be done.
> >
> > since we are already Monday, will release an unofficial package for 3.1.1
> > then with the wrong release name so at least we could get some binary
> > packages done and some basic testing going before Wednesday when the
> > official release (which will only change by that name most likely) will be
> > released.
>
> Why put ourselves through all of that extra work.

Well, it is not wasted work anyway, as that will at least allow packagers to
fine tune their build scripts and have maybe some packages ready to begin
testing when the official pre-release is launched as explained before.

Indeed I'd had already found a couple of bugs myself by going through the
proposed questionnaire :

* new ChangeLog generation is broken at least in CentOS 4.6
* `gmond -r` generates a broken configuration for 3.1 so people migrating
  from 2.5.7 (all those OpenSuSE and Debian guys) will have a harder time
  upgrading than usual.

Agree though that it can be confusing (since there will be then 2 packages
with the same version name) and is not what we had documented should happen
as part of our release process either;  but was suggested by our release
manager and had happened as part of the release cycle for 3.1.0 as well so
it shouldn't be that much of a surprise to everyone involved.

> Since both myself and Bernard are out of the office until Wed.,
> let's just wait until then to get things going.

If you both were planning to be out until Wed, why enforce a freeze and stop
all backporting and development efforts since Friday then?

If we can spare almost a full week of development why is it so hard to
convince everyone else that we should spare one extra week for testing?

Carlo