Greetings,

So it is finally here, the release date for testing of ganglia 3.1.1 and to
keep up with traditions, everyone that can do an official package is
unavailable so we are again stuck with my unofficial one, which you will
have to take my word on that, is pretty much the same than the original
package will be as it has been even bootstrapped with the same obsolete
autotools we use for official releases, but has an incorrect release name, as
we all hope it will have a better name than the current hack on the previous
one.

In any case, this package should be good enough for getting some testing going
so we are ready with our build scripts and packages from when the official
pre-release package comes in a couple of days and is immediately available
from:

  http://tapir.sajinet.com.pe/ganglia/ganglia-3.1.1.tar.gz

The list of features/bugfixes included in this release are:

  * Fix segfault when aggregating 3.1 gmetad
  * Fix failures and instability for tcpconn.py
  * Module directory configurable at build and run time
  * Autodetect libdir/moduledir for bi-arch Linux architectures
  * Include contrib directory with user provided goodies
  * Support for building C++ DSO
  * Support for building with Sun Studio 12 in OpenSolaris
  * In node view show correctly the downtime relatively to cluster time
  * In meta view show grid summary always on top regardless of sorting
  * Add "Avg Load percentages and overall cluster utilization"
  * Bug fixes and Enhancements

Which basically means it should work better than 3.1.0 did in almost any way
possible and has removed some annoying bugs that were released with 3.1.0 and
that were affecting you, our dear early deployers.

Don't get confused though, as this is no small release either with up to 2639
lines of code changed overall and so testing it to confirm it will work well
when released in your environment is encouraged by following and coming back
to us hopefully with good news from the following questionnaire:

  * which platform are you testing it on (OS name and version), which
    architecture (CPU type and bitness), do you have binary packages provided
    to use, do they work?
  * does the ganglia package build from source in your platform? does also
    gmetad? does it provide for loadable modules and static builds or only
    static builds? does it build python module support? any warnings reported
    when building it?
  * after building it, does gmond -m provide a list of available modules?
  * if python module support was enabled, can a simple python module be loaded
    and used? does tcpconn.py work stable?
  * if upgrading from an older version of ganglia (not including 3.1.0) does the
    configuration converter (for 2.5) or manual update (for 3.0) produce an
    equivalent working configuration?
  * if able to update (or setup for testing) two or more gmond are they able to
    work together and report valid metrics for a cluster?, do they work OK
    using multicast, unicast or both.
  * can your new 3.1.1 gmetad be configured to pull data from your existing
    environment without problems or misreporting metrics when compared with your
    current gmetad?
  * can you use 3.1.1 in a hierarchical gmetad configuration with your
    current gmetad?, if able to upgrade (or setup for testing) two 3.1.1 gmetad
    can they be configured in a hierarchical gmetad configuration?
  * do gmond or gmetad work reliably (not crashing or needing a restart) during
    the test window, is the memory utilization stable and CPU load under the
    expected values when compared with your current production environment?
  * is there anything else you had found during your test cycle that you would
    like to be addressed?, is it something that worked before and doesn't now
    (a regression)?

Some of the most visible changes I can come out with from the top of my head
and that we should be specially looking for regressions as compared with 3.1.0
are:

* This gmetad could be finally used as a complete replacement for 3.0 gmetad
  even if you are using a hierarchical setup and without segfaulting.  Some
  other misconfigurations that used to segfault gmond are now also handled
  better too and if you still have some of those that are not reported already
  in our release_notes then please let us know about them.
* All those delays and tracebacks when using tcpconn.py are gone and if you
  find more we will take them more seriously next time.
* There are several user contributed scripts/addons/tools in the contrib
  directory which you might find useful for your setup.
* In some platforms (BSD) where /var/lib/ganglia doesn't exist for storing
  the RRDs they will be now by default stored and used from /var/db/ganglia
  (still if you are running gmetad, you should probably do it in Linux anyway)
* If you are using a linux distribution with bi-arch support (like 32/64 bit
  x86 or ppc) where the library directory is different than /usr/lib and
  building your packages from source, all modules should magically go to
  the right directory now.  If you want to force all modules to go to a
  different place there is a --with-moduledir configure option you can use
  and there is also a "moduledir" global configuration you could use to
  override that at runtime.  One interesting sideffect of it all is that
  now a generated configuration wouldn't have by default all those ugly
  hardcoded paths for each DSO but you can still use them if you want.
* the web frontend navigation should be smoother, avoiding those white pages
  reloads when selecting a grid from the list; remembering the metric name
  you selected when browsing around; not moving the grid summary around if
  you select to sort your grids in meta view; reporting a clear message when
  a host is down in the shownode page so you know for how long it has
  been down and even showing that missing "Grid" in the title for all those
  grids you have in the "Grid View" and that I am sure was driving you nuts.

Carlo