>>> On 8/29/2008 at  2:34 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I notice there is only one set of RRAs defined in gmetad.conf
>
> We've identified that most of our RRD storage is used by short term data
> (10 seconds between consolidated data points).
>
> However, for some metrics, this short term data has no benefit - e.g.
> the mem_total metric, which would only change if the machine is
> upgraded.
>
> One solution that I can think of is to classify each metric (either
> within gmond or within gmetad), and then have a different `RRAs'
> parameter in gmetad for each class of metric.  Is anyone already
> implementing such a strategy or an alternative solution that may address
> this problem?

I don't know of anybody that is working on this.  It sounds like an interesting
idea.  Is the purpose just to reduce the size of the .rrd files?  How would
differing RRAs affect the web front end?  Would the web front end have to
change the way that it queries the RRDs when it creates the graphs?

Brad