Oddly, I was thinking about something similar to this this afternoon.

One thing that occurred to me was to alter rrdtool, adding the ability
to support a 'sparse' format, where instead of inferring the time of a
row by it's position in the file, as I assume rrdtool normally does, it
writes a more traditional timestamp for each row.

This would be a loss on frequently updated metrics, but a win on
infrequently updated ones.

Then, the decision would have to be made as to which type to use in each
case.