I have installed ganglia 3.1.1 in a 'non-standard' location (changed prefix,
libdir, etc) and I'm getting this error when starting gmond 3.1.1:

[PYTHON] Can't import the metric module [multidisk]
ImportError: No module named multidisk

despite being able to import the modules using the location listed for the
params variable in modpython.conf without issue.  After looking at
gmond/modules/python/modpython.c, seeing that we're using PYTHONPATH to
influence the include path, and reading
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-September/506206.html I added:

PyObject *sys_path = PySys_GetObject("path");
PyObject *addpath = PyString_FromString(path); // from
python_module.module_params;
PyList_Append(sys_path, addpath);

just after Py_Initialize() and now the python modules load from the location
specified in modpython.conf.  The one thing I can't reconcile is that in a
separate installation, using the normal install paths, I am able to move the
python_modules directory around the filesystem and modpython still finds them
(when updating params) - any ideas?.  Is there any advantage to using something
like this sys.path.append equivalent over setting PYTHONPATH?

Thank you

-g