On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:34:07AM -0700, Martin Knoblauch wrote:

> [...]

for a destination filename which will throw away everything sent to it like
/dev/null does, yes (using "NUL" will be enough AFAIK).

but the point is that all we are trying to accomplish (with the original patch
or the current one) is to instruct rrdtool to use some file which it won't
detect as the STDOUT so that the PRINT statements are not suppressed.

for that, an invalid filename works as well as a working one (due to the
way rrdgraph does error checking), except that under some circumstances
(which I hadn't been able to reproduce) Jesse reported the PHP exec call
or his version of rrdtool were having some problem generating/processing
the output; and that was worked around by giving rrdtool a working filename
to use instead of the previous empty/invalid one.

leaving "/dev/null" for Windows most likely only accomplish the same than the
original patch was doing by having an invalid filename (someone that has
the frontend/gmetad running in windows should check to be sure) and so, unless
there is a reason to believe it is broken I think that the added complexity to
use "/dev/null" or "NUL" depending on the architecture the frontend is running
on is not worth the hassle.

as I said too, I'd rather fix the problem (if possible) than leave a
workaround in place but for that we need to first understand it better than we
do now.

Carlo