On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 13:33, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 01:14:32PM -0400, Jesse Becker wrote:
>> I've
>> consolidated several patches from trunk into a single patch, and
>> posted it.  Please review, test and vote.
>
> was just looking at that and I have to admit I am not sure why a consolidated
> patch that diverts from trunk will be needed.
>
> couldn't just a merge from all relevant patches in trunk be used for
> backport?, if there are few "minor textual changes" why not include them as
> well to avoid having later conflicts when trying to merge further stuff from
> trunk?

Because I figured it would be easier to review and test applying one
patch, instead of the 4-5 that it takes otherwise.  The single patch
was produced directly from a diff against trunk; no "new" code is
included.

> if the changes that were skipped were not good for 3.1, then they are not good
> for trunk either and that could be fixed with further patches in trunk than
> then could be added to the list of patches from 3.1 for backport.

Nothing was skipped.  In fact, given that "new stuff" goes into trunk
*before* it goes into 3.1, I don't really see how it could have been
skipped.  As I said, there's no "new" code here.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG Fingerprint -- BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2