On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 01:49:37PM -0400, Jesse Becker wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 13:33, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 01:14:32PM -0400, Jesse Becker wrote:
> >
> > couldn't just a merge from all relevant patches in trunk be used for
> > backport?, if there are few "minor textual changes" why not include them as
> > well to avoid having later conflicts when trying to merge further stuff from
> > trunk?

in the bug report you wrote the following :

Updated patch from trunk back to 3.1.x branch.  Consolidates most of r1844,
r1848, r1850, r1856, and r1857.

There are a few minor textual changes from the listed revisions not included
in this patch

> Because I figured it would be easier to review and test applying one
> patch, instead of the 4-5 that it takes otherwise.  The single patch
> was produced directly from a diff against trunk; no "new" code is
> included.

I am not asking about why 1 patch was provided (which I agree is really useful
for testing) but on why the STATUS change doesn't instead list all patches
that are needed (at least from my initial merge attempts based on your
instructions I think 1847 is missing)

> > if the changes that were skipped were not good for 3.1, then they are not
> > good
> > for trunk either and that could be fixed with further patches in trunk than
> > then could be added to the list of patches from 3.1 for backport.
>
> Nothing was skipped.  In fact, given that "new stuff" goes into trunk
> *before* it goes into 3.1, I don't really see how it could have been
> skipped.  As I said, there's no "new" code here.

as explained before there was no mention about "new" code being proposed, but
on the contrary, that some of them were probably missing, and that will result
in the long run in a divergence between trunk and 3.1 which will affect future
merges.

Carlo