On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:52:45PM -0800, Bernard Li wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Care to explain what your comment means?
> >
> > are you serious?, if so will take some time later in the night to reply with
>
> Yes I am.  Otherwise I wouldn't send the email to begin with.

I see, and seems you keep confusing my email address with the one from the
ganglia developers list.

considering how many people is going to have to read through this email or
at least delete it, even if it wasn't directed to them, seems like a waste
of our collective energy, so I apologize in advance to everyone for this
reply.

> In case you need clarification on my question, I am confused about this:
>
> "patched generated files"
>
> Did you mean:
>
> "The patch generated files"

no.

> or
>
> "Generated files were patched"

yes; so it seems you were not that confused after all.

> Please explain what these "generated files" are.

a "generated file" is a file that is generated through some process (like a
compiled binary is generated by processing source code with a compiler).

in this case the files you patched (gmetric/cmdline.h, gmetric/cmdline.c,
mans/gmetric.1) are not meant to be patched directly because they are
generated through a process as it is clearly explained in the header of
them all :

$ head gmetric/cmdline.h
/** @file cmdline.h
 *  @brief The header file for the command line option parser
 *  generated by GNU Gengetopt version 2.22
 *  http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt.
 *  DO NOT modify this file, since it can be overwritten
 *  @author GNU Gengetopt by Lorenzo Bettini */

$ head gmetric/cmdline.c
/*
  File autogenerated by gengetopt version 2.22
  generated with the following command:
  /usr/local/bin/gengetopt --input ./cmdline.sh

  The developers of gengetopt consider the fixed text that goes in all
  gengetopt output files to be in the public domain:
  we make no copyright claims on it.
*/

and my favorite :

$ head mans/gmetric.1
.\" DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!  It was generated by help2man 1.36.
.TH GMETRIC "1" "March 2008" "gmetric" "User Commands"
.SH NAME
gmetric \- manual page for Ganglia Custom Metric Utility
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B gmetric
[\fIOPTIONS\fR]...
.SH DESCRIPTION
The Ganglia Metric Client (gmetric) announces a metric
on the list of defined send channels defined in a configuration file

the cleanup I refer to is to ensure that the changes are done in the original
sources so that your changes won't be blown away next time, and then
regenerate the files as it was meant to be.

will see also if some Makefile rules could be added so rebuilding them is
as simple as making an RPM, so that we could prevent this kind of issues and
waste of energy in the future.

definitely not bad for being your first commit ever to gmetric, so feel free
to backport it, so our users will be able to use it instead of getting an
answer like :

which for some strange reason never had a reply and got Filippo in the right
direction as he had no more problems with ganglia since.

Carlo