<b9aec8265e202d4ba6540ea32f49579007daf...@ldnpcmeu301veua.intranet.barcapint.com

, <daniel.poc...@barclayscapital.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gmond refuses to start if any of the metrics fail to initialise.
>
> In this new era of modular metrics, it is likely that some modules will
> relate to things that are not static (e.g. a NIC that existed before but
> has now gone away).
>
> Maybe there needs to be a configuration option to declare certain
> metrics to be non-essential at startup time?
>
> Beyond that, it may also be nice to support metrics that only exist
> intermittently (e.g. if someone temporarily mounts an iSCSI LUN for 30
> minutes, and they want metrics without reconfiguring and restarting
> gmond)

This goes back to previous discussions that we have had on this list around
making gmond recognize new metrics without having to stop and restart gmond.
In other words, being able to dynamically add and remove metric module
configuration.  Currently gmond can't handle adding or removing metric
configuration on the fly.  It reads all of the configuration at startup and
creates an internal list of metrics and associated data.  Gmond depends on that
internal list for everything and changing it on the fly would cause major
problems.

In order to do what you are suggesting, which I think would be great BTW, the
whole mechanism for tracking metrics and metric data will have to be reworked.
This can certainly be done, but it will take some well thought out design and
coding.

Brad