Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:
> Bernard Li wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Brad Nicholes<bnicho...@novell.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not sure that there has been any definitive issue tracker for releases,
> at least not for the 3.1.x releases.  The road map going forward has been
> basically left up to the community.  For 3.1.0, .1 and .2 releases, I
> volunteered as the release manager with a lot of help from Bernard.  For me,
> it was just a matter of recognizing that there was enough new functionality
> or bug fixes to warrant a new release.  At the time it was basically being
> driven by the modular metric functionality.  The 3.1.2 release of Ganglia
> basically finished off all of the functionality that I had in mind.  But I'm
> sure that there is more that could be done in that area.  At one point we had
> created a wish list which was published on the wiki site
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ganglia/wiki/ganglia_wish-list.  I don't
> think that these items were ever entered into bugzilla as enhancements and
> I'm also not sure how accurate the list is anymore.  It should probably be
> updated.   With all of the work that you and others have done recently, it
> might be a good time to produce a 3.1.3 release.  You might want to take a
> look at the Ganglia wiki page
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ganglia/wiki/how_project_works under the
> section "Release Manager and Additional Release Information" for an idea of
> how it was done in the past.  Anyway, if you think it is time to release
> 3.1.3, I'll support that.
>>>

>> I could help with the release when 3.1.3 is ready.
>>

> I'll obviously be willing to support those features that I've added,
> particularly when any release candidate is issued and if any problems arise.
>
> Don't release just yet though, there's probably one other change I'd
> like to include for 3.1.3 - eliminating calls to sleep() in the gmetad
> threads, and making the randomization more reliable for lower intervals
> (making it a percentage of the interval rather than an absolute value).
> Any preference for nanosleep or apr_sleep?  I notice that apr doesn't
> appear to be used from within gmetad/*.c, and I wasn't sure why.

It would be nice to put gmond and gmetad fully on top of APR.  That would make
cross platform compatibility much easier and probably eliminate the need for
cygwin on Windows.

BTW, whenever you think that 3.1.3 is ready, just volunteer to be the Release
Manager and Bernard and I can help you through producing the release
candidate(s) and final release.  It is actually very simple.

Brad