On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 08:59:56AM -0700, Brad Nicholes wrote:

> APR is designed to solve these problems in a cross platform way and we
> are proposing that we abandon the cross platform solution in favor of a
> platform specific solution.

Just want to clarify here that it is not a "platform specific solution" as
much as one based on fairly common UNIX standards and therefore supports
most likely every single of the platforms we run on including cygwin.

In any case to simplify testing and probing me wrong a snapshot from trunk
with the patch included is available from :

  http://sajino.sajinet.com.pe/ganglia/ganglia-3.2.0.0.tar.gz

There is yet no native windows ganglia (even if some work has been done
already to have a native metric version of libmetrics at least on trunk),
neither a novell network version (and eventhough I would be interested on
at least adding it to libmetrics lack the access needed to a development
environment which will allow one to exist most likely as noticed by the
lack of interest on it, otherwise) and so most of the portability of APR
(which in this case is just a small wrapper around fork) is not helping
much yet.

> I know that httpd doesn't have these issues and they detach and run
> just fine across a wide variety of platforms including windows, BSD,
> solaris, etc.

right, and that is why alternative 3 in :

http://www.mail-archive.com/ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net/msg05398.html

says, look at the apache httpd implementation of their main loop and make
ganglia's similar so it will work with APR AS-IS.

> Why are we having these problems when httpd doesn't?  Is the real solution
> as simple as going to the APR mailing list and asking why this issue exists
> in APR and if there is a workaround?  I haven't really seen this issue show
> up on the APR mailing list so far or did I miss it?

it is obvious, as you explained before, that apache uses APR in a different
way than ganglia and that is why there is no "bug" to fix here in APR (except
the fact that the implementation of apr_poll is "leaky" as it is inconsistent
between platforms), if there is a bug I would say it is in the BSD
implementation of kqueue with its non inheritable file handles.

I presume the reason why you haven't seen this show up in the APR list, is
because it makes probably more sense for the apache httpd list instead for
help understanding how apache is able to "work around" the leakiness of
apr_poll and that also requires some reading from apache's code (which I
am not at least that familiar with, neither really interested)

> One of the problems that we already have with gmond is that there is
> already too much platform specific code in it which is why we have to
> rely on cygwin in order to run on windows.

ganglia is a monitoring application, and therefore it is very likely to have
to work with very platform specific stuff anyway (unlike apache), I agree
though that using cygwin for windows is not ideal and I hope it will be
deprecated sometime when a native windows version would be available, but
APR so far hasn't help much in that direction AFAIK.

> It is also the reason why gmetad doesn't really run on windows because
> it wasn't built on top of a cross platform solution.  My gut feel is that
> we should be moving ganglia more towards APR rather than away from it.

gmetad could be made to run on windows, and from time to time some pure soul
succeeds and then realizes why it was still reported as "dont even try".

AFAIK the original reason behind having and alternative python implementation
of gmetad was to have to avoid having to go through the pain of cleaning that
code for portability, noting that it mostly works almost reliably in linux
at best, still I agree APR would be most likely part of a portable gmetad
if needed.

Carlo