On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 01:31:22PM -0600, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 04:56:51PM +0000, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
>
> > I presume the reason why you haven't seen this show up in the APR list, is
> > because it makes probably more sense for the apache httpd list instead for
> > help understanding how apache is able to "work around" the leakiness of
> > apr_poll and that also requires some reading from apache's code (which I
> > am not at least that familiar with, neither really interested)
>
> Looking at the prefork mpm, the pollsets are created and used only
> in child_main() and thus are created after the fork.  I suspect that
> changing the ganglia code to open all the sockets, but defer creation of
> the pollset until after fork is the right way to go.

That is the way we did the initialization before r2025 so I guess that could
explain why we weren't affected just like apache is not.

In the other hand though that change was introduced to force gmond to report
to its parent in case there were problems creating those resources and that
would be silently ignored otherwise, and I guess apache either has that bug
as well or simply has a better way to code that notification just like the
one that was proposed originally in this thread.

Carlo