>>> One other problem.  After doing a configure and make I tried to do a make
>>>
>> distdir just to get the built files in the web directory.  In the resulting
>> dist directory, nothing was built in the web directory.  conf.php.in was
>> there but no conf.php etc.   Is there something different I need to do now
>> get all of the .in files resolved in the web directory?
>>

>> Try
>>
>> make -C web conf.php version.php
>>
>> You'll notice that I've put something like that in the spec file
>>

> OK, that worked but it begs the question, shouldn't this just happen on a
> "make", "make install" or "make dist*" rather than it being a separate
> command?  I'm sure there must be a good reason for it, just curious.  Is this
> documented somewhere other than .spec file?  If I wanted to just pull the
> tarball and build it myself, I shouldn't have to be guessing at the build
> steps other than configure/make/make install.

`make install' has never actually installed the web files anywhere

What has changed though is that conf.php and version.php are only
generated at the last moment rather than at the configure stage.

However, I can probably tweak this a little more to ensure they are
generated for you, but you still have to copy them to where you want them.