Hi all,

We've just been discussing the sysconfdir issue while here at FOSDEM

For Ganglia <= 3.1.2,
- the configure --help output tells people they can use --sysconfdir to
set the location of gmond.conf
- the configure --help output tells people that the default is PREFIX/etc
- the value of --sysconfdir passed to configure was ignored however, and
everything goes to /etc/ganglia (or /etc for < 3.1.0)

Looking at what a user might do and how configure should behave:

    ./configure --prefix=/opt/ganglia

In this case, the user would expect gmond.conf to be in
/opt/ganglia/etc/gmond.conf, and conf.d will be in /opt/ganglia/etc/conf.d

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

- the user would expect gmond.conf to be in /usr/local/etc/gmond.conf
- however, a new problem arises because conf.d will be
/usr/local/etc/conf.d - not a good idea
- therefore, for --prefix=/usr/local, the user would probably have to
set sysconfdir and prefix:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir='/usr/local/etc/ganglia'

or, to be more precise, the user may want to use this syntax instead:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc/ganglia'

I have implemented support for sysconfdir in such a way that this syntax
will work.  I realise this may surprise people, and those who have
written packaging scripts will need to add something like this to their
script.

Regards,

Daniel