On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 01:30:43PM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> We've just been discussing the sysconfdir issue while here at FOSDEM
>
> For Ganglia <= 3.1.2,
> - the configure --help output tells people they can use --sysconfdir to
> set the location of gmond.conf
> - the configure --help output tells people that the default is PREFIX/etc
> - the value of --sysconfdir passed to configure was ignored however, and
> everything goes to /etc/ganglia (or /etc for < 3.1.0)

This has annoyed me for ages, I'm glad progress is finally being made.

> Looking at what a user might do and how configure should behave:
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/opt/ganglia
>
> In this case, the user would expect gmond.conf to be in
> /opt/ganglia/etc/gmond.conf, and conf.d will be in /opt/ganglia/etc/conf.d
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>
> - the user would expect gmond.conf to be in /usr/local/etc/gmond.conf
> - however, a new problem arises because conf.d will be
> /usr/local/etc/conf.d - not a good idea
> - therefore, for --prefix=/usr/local, the user would probably have to
> set sysconfdir and prefix:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir='/usr/local/etc/ganglia'
>
> or, to be more precise, the user may want to use this syntax instead:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc/ganglia'
>
> I have implemented support for sysconfdir in such a way that this syntax
> will work.  I realise this may surprise people, and those who have
> written packaging scripts will need to add something like this to their
> script.

IMO this isn't enough of a solution.  First, conf.d isn't adequately
descriptive even when it's in a ganglia directory because the files
actually only apply to to gmond.  Second, I continue to believe that
having the ganglia directory at all has never made sense.  Historically
we've had exactly two, well defined config files so I've never seen a
compelling need for a ganglia directory.  On the FreeBSD port we just
have gmond.conf and gmetad.conf that live in ${prefix}/etc.  I propose
that we rename conf.d to gmond.conf.d.

Also, when I was looking, it appears that ${sysconfdir}/conf.d is
hard coded.  It seems to me that we'd be better served by a config
include directive similar to the one in Apache.

-- Brooks