On 21/03/12 19:48, Vladimir Vuksan wrote:
> I agree with Alex. We are churning through too many versions. I would
> personally be OK with overriding the existing 3.3.2 tag and going with
> 3.3.2 instead of 3.3.4.

Having been involved in the releases between 3.1.2 and 3.1.7, I accept
some of the responsibility if people did find it problematic

That is why I put out a test tarball, only tagged 3.3.3dp1, before
tagging 3.3.3 - so people did have 24 hours to evaluate

There is no such thing as perfect software

What I can suggest, specifically from the 3.1.7 release, is that the
current strategy can work, but maybe it has to work faster:

- release manager does not tag unless designated testers have sufficient
time to commit over the next 24-48 hours (within reason)

- release manager makes a tag, it is tested

- if it fails, another tag is made immediately (not 1 day later, or 2
weeks later, etc)

- everyone sticks with the process (maybe burning 2 or 3 release numbers
in the same day) until they are happy

- one further point: between 3.1.2 and 3.1.7, some new features were
allowed to creep in, maybe that should be prohibited for minor releases,
to reduce the risk of failure

If people are happy with this concept, then I'll go and cut the 3.3.4
release shortly