<alpine.DEB.2.00.1203211446030.13349@localhost6.localdomain6>, Vladimir Vuksan
<vli...@veus.hr> wrote:
> I agree with Alex. We are churning through too many versions. I would
> personally be OK with overriding the existing 3.3.2 tag and going with
> 3.3.2 instead of 3.3.4.

The problem with reusing a version number is that you end up with different
snapshots of the code under the same version number in the wild.  Whether or
not a specific snapshot of the code has actually be designated as a release
doesn't matter, the fact is that the version stamped snapshot has been posted
and available to the public.  All it takes is for one user or distributor to
get a hold of the wrong snapshot and the Ganglia project ends up wasting time
answering and debunking bugs that don't actually exist in the actual release.
It is much easier to explain to a user that a specific version number was never
released rather than tell them that the 3.3.2 version of their code is the
wrong one.  Skipping version numbers is actually a common practice.  The Apache
HTTPD project is actually doing the same thing as we speak due to a bad release
candidate.

Brad