On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:17:19PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> The mod_multicpu code in the main ganglia repo is Linux-only, while most
> of the other modules are cross-platform

I think it might also work for cygwin but haven't really tried lately, if
that is the case though it will remove this functionality from cygwin for
no big gain IMHO.

Most of the python modules are linux specific though, so would guess your
comment was about native modules instead.

> The version in ganglia-modules-linux is based on the same code, with
> some small enhancements (using arrays instead of string comparisons)

instead of having a forked version, why not make multi-cpu portable instead?
and if you think your linux version is better, why not import it instead?

having a mechanism to identify which OS is supported by each module was
something that was missing in the modular architecture from the start
(since it was modeled after apache that doesn't have that requirement) and
adding this functionality instead of hacking around the lack of it would
be IMHO a better option, eventhough that would most likely require a
binary incompatible change and therefore a different (at least minor)
version of ganglia, which seems is something we are fond of now anyway
considering I'd seen some code released as 3.4 already.

Carlo