On 14/05/12 17:08, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:17:19PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> The mod_multicpu code in the main ganglia repo is Linux-only, while most
>> of the other modules are cross-platform
>>
> I think it might also work for cygwin but haven't really tried lately, if
> that is the case though it will remove this functionality from cygwin for
> no big gain IMHO.

Just a few comments:
- I think it may be good to have some (or maybe all?) modules as
separate packages, especially if they are only for a single platform, as
smaller packages are easier to release manage
- the python modules seem to evolve faster than the C stuff, just as the
web stuff has evolved quite a lot recently, Python code doesn't need any
autotools integration either, so that stuff could also be a separate
source tree, separate release cycles, etc
- although I hammered together the gmond-linux package, 90% is other
people's work, I believe I've done everything I can to credit people for
that - but I'm also happy for other people to have commit access on that
repository, Brad is also an admin there now and he can also grant access
- given the correlation between Linux and Cygwin stuff, maybe
ganglia-modules-linux can be renamed and can cover both platforms - or
given the nature of git, it could be forked to create a
ganglia-modules-cygwin?

> Most of the python modules are linux specific though, so would guess your
> comment was about native modules instead.
>

>> The version in ganglia-modules-linux is based on the same code, with
>> some small enhancements (using arrays instead of string comparisons)
>>
> instead of having a forked version, why not make multi-cpu portable instead?
> and if you think your linux version is better, why not import it instead?

I've also implemented the same for Solaris (see
http://gmod-solaris.sourceforge.net) - there is little in common.  In
some ways I think the code is more readable if kept separate.

I have no objection to contributing my mod_multicpu enhancements to the
main project - the gmod-linux thing was started as a proof-of-concept
for standalone module builds, I think it serves that purpose well and I
only hope people use it as a starting point for similar activity.   It
should not be seen as something I made up because I don't want to
contribute 100% to the main project: rather, it should be seen as a mark
of respect for the modular architecture of the project.