On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:36:34AM -0400, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>I'm not sure that just abandoning the issues in Bugzilla is a good idea
>without at least trying to follow up with the person who submitted the issue.
>Some of the issues may still be valid and we certainly don't want to abandon
>those.  How much effort would it be to try to either validate or follow up on
>the open issues?
>
>OTOH, I guess leaving bugzilla as read-only means that the issues will still
>be there and not necessarily be lost.  We could close out each ticket in
>bugzilla with a note to the submitter that says that if the bug is still an
>issue then resubmit the bug to GitHub Issues.  I guess what I am saying is
>that I don't have a strong opinion either way.

There's no way to do a bulk import?  I'm slightly surprised.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7281304/migrate-bugzilla-issues-to-github-issue-tracker
https://github.com/dowee/bugzilla-importer

Maybe useful:

https://gitorious.org/bugmail/dumpbugzilla

and going the other way...

https://gitorious.org/bugmail/github-issues-export

>Brad

><CA+3XN_+bV1pjKaQ2_D-_omo0dYticBJNJPhKy=ot7xniyj0...@mail.gmail.com>, Bernard
>Li <bern...@vanhpc.org> wrote:
>> I spoke with Vladimir briefly on IRC and he recommends that we just
>> move to GitHub Issues, reason being it works better with the GitHub
>> workflow (as Alex Dean also mentioned in his email).
>>
>> I am okay with this, as long as we take the effort to go through
>> bugzilla.ganglia.info and close out obsolete tickets and move all the
>> relevant open ones to GitHub Issues.  We can leave the old bugs in
>> Bugzilla for archival purposes and in read-only mode.
>>
>> Another option which Vladimir suggest is just forget about the old
>> tickets in Bugzilla and start fresh in GitHub Issues.
>>
>> I am leaning towards option 1 -- what do you guys think?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bernard

>>> Yes, that was the same link I posted - it doesn't say temporary or
>>> permanent, it just says they need at least 2 people willing to support
>>> the package in some sense.  It also suggests that the way upstream
>>> distributes the tarball makes it necessary to do a lot of patching, that
>>> deters people from maintaining a package.

>>> Yes, definitely, because if something like that is publicly accessible,
>>> it needs security updates.  Debian and RHEL often put out security
>>> updates for supported packages within a matter of hours (much faster
>>> than the non-Linux platform vendor)
>>>
>>> The reason for using Debian is that I already have a VM running for
>>> reSIProcate, it could be shared for the Ganglia project, used to
>>> bootstrap releases, etc.  The physical server is under a commercial
>>> hosting contract in Telehouse, one of London's most well connected data
>>> centres:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telehouse_Europe#London

Jesse Becker
NHGRI Linux support (Digicon Contractor)