Oh yes - setting deaf=yes is the solution - I mentioned that in my first
email (sorry that I was not very clear about that).

My question however was - is that a bug or a feature? It can be tricky
as in default configuration deaf=no and one could not simply get to the
source of problem. In "Monitoring with Ganglia" book hovewer it is
mentioned (page 22) in the picture that gmond nodes are deaf; but maybe
(just maybe) gmond could not listen to anything if it has no
recv_channels defined? :)

> On 02/07/2014 09:59 AM, Maciej Lasyk wrote:
> >Sure, it's not that long so I'm posting it in-place:
> >
> >globals {
> >   daemonize = yes
> >   setuid = yes
> >   user = ganglia
> >   debug_level = 0
> >   max_udp_msg_len = 1472
> >   mute = no
> >   deaf = no
> >   allow_extra_data = yes
> >   host_dmax = 0 /*secs */
> >   cleanup_threshold = 300 /*secs */
> >   gexec = no
> >   send_metadata_interval = 60 /*secs */
> >}
> >
> >cluster {
> >   name = "somecluster"
> >   owner = "someowner"
> >   latlong = "unspecified"
> >   url = "unspecified"
> >}
> >
> >host {
> >   location = "host"
> >}
> >
> >udp_send_channel {
> >   bind_hostname = yes
> >   port = 8649
> >   ttl = 2
> >   host = 192.168.1.23
> >}
> >
> >.. and here go modules / metrics
> >
> >On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 09:15:56AM -0500, Vladimir Vuksan wrote:
> >>    Maciej,
> >>
> >>    can you post top 100 lines or so of your config ie. with all the udp
> >>    channels etc.
> >>
> >>    Thanks
> >>
> >>    On 02/07/2014 08:52 AM, Maciej Lasyk wrote:
> >>
> >>  Hi guys,
> >>
> >>  I've been struggling with very high cpu usage of my gmond daemons
> >>  lately. I've been using UDP unicast topology. I just couldn't find the
> >>  source of my problem. All my gmonds on my servers were generating
> >>  ~99-100% of procs usage.
> >>
> >>  stracing gmond processes revealed zounds of epools and gettimeofdays
> >>  syscalls (like very many every second) and that was all.
> >>
> >>  I tried to start from scratch - there was no problem when using default
> >>  config (mutlicast topo, deaf/mute=no). So after playing a while I
> >>  thought that _maybe_ deaf=no on gmond which is only sending data to some
> >>  aggregator (only udp_send_channel, no rcv channels or tcp channels)
> >>  generates some negative energy here. And that was it.
> >>
> >>  My mistake was that I thought that when deaf=no is set than it doesn't
> >>  matter as in UDP unicast we just don't listen - unless we have
> >>  recv_channel configured.
> >>
> >>  So I think that this could be a bug - not a feature. What's your
> >>  thoughts on this?

> >>References
> >>
> >>    Visible links
> >>    1.
> >> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> >>    2. mailto:Ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> >>/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 402: htmlview: command not found
> >>/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 402: firefox: command not found
> >>/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 402: mozilla: command not found
> [...]

pozdrawiam,
Maciej Lasyk

GPG key ID: FFA8AEEC
GPG info: http://maciek.lasyk.info/gpg.txt