Hi,

I'm an active developper of OSCAR Cluster project and we are using ganglia.
I've ported OSCAR to systemd systems, and found that ganglia doesn't support
systemd or at least, no packaging uses systemd service files and the service
files are broken.

The following patches are relative to git that I cloned a few hours ago.

1/ So 1st of all, here is a fixed specfile.in:
- It adds support for systemd (supports both initscripts and systemd)
- It fixes build that tries to package the web interface which is now splitted
of the ganglia-core.
- Add missing ck-devel build require.
http://olivier.lahaye1.free.fr/OSCAR/ganglia-ganglia_spec_in.patch

2/ Then the gmetad.service and gmond.service are broken.
1/ gmtad doesn't recognize the -f option (clearly a gmond.service past error in
gmetad.service).
2/ missing Type= fork
3/ missing EnvironmentFile= (behaviour would be different from init script if
/etc/sysconfig/gmetad file was not sourced)
4/ missing --pid-file option for gmetad and no PidFile= in service file.
5/ User=ganglia is wrong as if gmetad starts as user ganglia (provided it
exists in the systems), then it fails to setuid to user configured in
gmetad.conf.....which is by default nobody.... => remove the User and let
gmetad setuid to the user specified in the config file.
http://olivier.lahaye1.free.fr/OSCAR/ganglia-gmetad_service_in.patch
http://olivier.lahaye1.free.fr/OSCAR/ganglia-gmond_service_in.patch

Note: Those files need @runstatedir@ => /var/run or /run and @envdir@ =>
/etcf/sysconfig on redhat clones and /etc/default on deb variants.
=> need to fix scripts/fixconfig.in to have that support.

3/ In order to correctly fix the above files, we need to fix
scripts/fixconfig.in to add runstatedir and envdir.
I'm not happy with this patch as I think that this should got to configure.ac
(unfornutately out of my skill). Using configure.ac would permit to define
variables --runstatedir (autoconf starting at version 2.70 supports that by
default) and --envdir from the command line. It would also simplify
fixconfig.in (the test between /etc/sysconfig and /etc/defaults wouldn't be
needed in fixconfig.in). So feel free to enhance this.
@runstatedir@ should point to /var/run (autoconf 2.70+ uses this as default)
@envdir@ should point to /etc/sysconfig on a redhat clone and /etc/defaults on
a debian variant.
http://olivier.lahaye1.free.fr/OSCAR/ganglia-fixconfig_in.patch
Once applied, the configure line in the spec.in file could be enhanced by
adding --runstatedir=/var/run --envdir=/etc/sysconfig

4/ It seems that now the CK package is required. (searching for ck on google
was hard)
Thus the INSTALL file needs to be updated.
http://olivier.lahaye1.free.fr/OSCAR/ganglia-INSTALL.patch

Can someone with access to the source tree review those simple patches and
merge/update them into the main source tree so they are part of the next
release?
Those patch should close the following tickets: #138 - (#126)? - #110 - #109

Best regards.

--
Olivier LAHAYE