Hi Devon,

I'm writing about your commit

https://github.com/ganglia/monitor-core/commit/02524bf2f5485cfd4cddb66bd3280e5a08a2232c

in Ganglia.  The comment mentions:

 1) Get rid of "case-insensitive" metrics. I don't think these ever
     actually hit, but the code is silly. If we need it, we can normalize
     the data going into the table.

The main reason for this is that some environments have inconsistent
hostname practices.  RFC 952 says there should be no distinction between
upper case and lower case.  In practice, in large heterogeneous
environments, uppercase or mixed-case hostname strings appear.  Ganglia
needs to handle these intelligently.  Metric names are Ganglia-specific
though and it is quite OK for them to be case sensitive - as far as I
know, the case-insensitive code was only added to support hostnames.

Regards,

Daniel