Today, Brian Messenger wrote forth saying...

> Yes, a friend asked about this,  another person replied with this:
>
> "There have been complaints about Ganglia occasionally going into heavy
> CPU use and it is a known bug.  I am not sure if it has been fixed.  I
> saw some stuff on it a few weeks ago."

the person who was having the problem was running version 2.2.3.  i've
only seen one complaint about it so if anyone else on this list has
problems which gmond sucking up a lot of CPU please let me know.  i
suspect the problem was in the way heartbeats were handled in pre 2.3.0
but i haven't formally debugged the problem.  he found that restarting
gmond fixed the problem.. a better fix is to run 2.5.0 :).

> I told the person that there was no way to have monitoring with out
> sacrificing some cycles, but I was unsure as to what an acceptable
> percentage was.

true.  we really try to keep the cpu/mem use down to a minimum.  we don't
want to build a monitoring system that is so resource-hungry that the
biggest process it monitors is itself.  i love fractals and infinite
recursion but not in monitoring software.  :)

-matt