[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,

[points at Ben]

HA-ha!

OK, now that we've gotten the Nelson laugh out of the way...

[not being a ROCKS guy, I defer on all these points to anyone who is *cough*fed*cough*]

I just installed a ROCKS 2.21 cluster, which seemed to have ganglia 1.05 or
something, and decided to try updating ganglia.

1.  I downloaded both RPMs from the ganglia website, ran them and ganglia
stopped working.  :(  When I go to http://localhost/ganglia it says:

Cannot continue because of these errors:
Invalid element in GANGLIA_DOC XML

So the ganglia front-end is connecting to gmetad (localhost:8651) and seeing what it thinks is malformed data. Try telnetting to 8651 on that machine and see what data is there.

Also, did you install it in $HTTPD_DOCROOT/ganglia or $HTTPD_DOCROOT/ganglia-webfrontend? You're referring to two different URLs here.

You should probably be aware that there are considerable differences between Ganglia 1.05 and Ganglia 2.5.0. In point of fact, there are considerable differences between Ganglia 2.2.x and Ganglia 2.5.0. So it's very possible that you've got an old front-end that's somehow broken by the current Ganglia XML DTD.

2.  I followed Matt Massie's advice from a post on this mailing list he
made on 2002-10-02.  I added

datasoruce "localhost" 172.20.0.1

and rebooted.  Same error.

Is that a copy and paste?  I hope not...

2a.  I couldn't find the conf.php file.  I installed the php erratta from
the Red Hat web site and rebooted - same error.  However, it works fine if
I went to http://localhost/ganglia-webfrontend/

It should be in that very directory. Ask your web server what filesystem point "/ganglia-webfrontend/" corresponds to and conf.php should be in there. I just checked on my setup, I'm definitely not imagining it.

Thanks for all your help,

It's only help if it works. :)