[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I get a lovely bit of code.  It seems to be working.

Depends on the length and breadth of the code. If it's displaying metrics, then it's working. If it just has the DTD and there's no real data (no <CLUSTER> or <HOST> tags), it ain't.

Also, did you install it in $HTTPD_DOCROOT/ganglia or
$HTTPD_DOCROOT/ganglia-webfrontend?  You're referring to two different

URLs

here.

I don't know how to tell.  How do I figure that one out?

That info is specific to your web server software.  See below.

You should probably be aware that there are considerable differences
between Ganglia 1.05 and Ganglia 2.5.0.  In point of fact, there are
considerable differences between Ganglia 2.2.x and Ganglia 2.5.0.  So it's

very possible that you've got an old front-end that's somehow broken by

the

current Ganglia XML DTD.

Now you tell me.  :)

I told you when you asked!  :P

2.  I followed Matt Massie's advice from a post on this mailing list he
made on 2002-10-02.  I added

datasoruce "localhost" 172.20.0.1

and rebooted.  Same error.

Is that a copy and paste?  I hope not...

Fortunately not.  It's actually
data_source "Home" 127.0.0.1
Long day.  :)

Life. Don't talk to me about life. And me with a pain in all the diodes on my left side...

2a.  I couldn't find the conf.php file.  I installed the php erratta

from

the Red Hat web site and rebooted - same error.  However, it works fine

if

I went to http://localhost/ganglia-webfrontend/

It should be in that very directory.  Ask your web server what filesystem
point "/ganglia-webfrontend/" corresponds to and conf.php should be in
there.  I just checked on my setup, I'm definitely not imagining it.

How do I ask my web server that?

First, you pick up the microphone and say, "Hello, web server process..."

...and since that won't work for another 25 years, you'll need to look at your web server's configuration. If it's Apache, there's an httpd.conf file that has all this stuff in it somewhere on one of your mounted filesystems. If it's IIS, there's a GUI configuration tool that will tell you. What you're basically looking for is a "Document root", or a similarly-named configuration directive that tells the web server where to actually *serve documents* from when it receives an HTTP request. In other words, it's the place you would publish files to in order to make them available via the web server process. Apache defaults to either "/usr/local/apache/htdocs" or sometimes "/var/www/htdocs" in bundled installs. But it could just as easily be anywhere.

If you can't find the config file... well, you should try again because sooner or later you'll need to get at it and change it. But for now you can try searching the filesystem (using locate, find, whatever your favorite method is). Best way to narrow the search would be to search for a file you KNEW the web server was serving up. index.html is a good candidate but try to find something more unique.

Do I need to install the RRD tool to make this work?  That would imply
installing the GCC libraries that support the RRD tool as well.

The new Ganglia web front end REQUIRES rrdtool to be installed in order to be worth using. Of course, gmetad also requires it, so if you're running one smoothly you should be able to run the other.

The web front end also requires that you have PHP installed.

If you're having a lot of problems with your web server config, I don't have time to shoot that trouble with you. If someone else on the list wants to do it, super. And don't forget, there are a number of resources for you out there on the World Wide Interweb, not to mention a whole bunch of out-of-work web developers and sysadmins who would love to help you out for a slight fee. :P

Thanks again,

Told you not to thank anyone 'till it works. :)