" But how do we know that everyone else's suggestions will fall into the
same not important "philosphical" camp?"

I agree that ganglia is excellent, however, just by watching the list
and reading the occasional post one can see that there are plenty of
people asking for features. Some features are asked for more often then
others and people could debate on how important they are and if they
should or shouldn't be a part of Ganglia, but the requests are still
there. Looking through the list I wonder how many times people have
reinvented the wheel simply because there was not a way of doing it
within Ganglia. Example: A quick search through the list shows multiple
ways of alerting when a system goes down. It is also quite evident that
many have settled in with Nagios and Zabbix to get the features that
they required.

I love Ganglia because it has a really simple and clean interface that
lets me check on the status of my systems. It is incredibly easy to
learn and work with while being nice enough eye candy that the boss
likes to show off the graphs. However, when it comes to the details of
why a system went down I turn to Zabbix. There are just a few voids
within Ganglia that I need to have Zabbix for (alerting, time shifting,
logging of errors and who fixed them at what time, plus several more).

I think it would be a great idea to put together a questionnaire of the
uses that Ganglia is put through. If nothing more then to show who has
been adding what to their version of Ganglia and what could be shared
with the community. I would be very interested in seeing what kind of
add-ons people have come up with because I am positive that others have
come up with better solutions then I have and it is possible that I have
come up with a solution that can help someone else out.

" I've been under the impression for a while ganglia wasn't getting a
whole lot of development and was mostly in maintenance mode. It hasn't
changed a whole lot in the few years I've been using it"

Working together in a community where many people work on, test, and
improve the project is what makes a project like this really strong.
Maybe it is just me, but to think that a project is not growing and has
been in maintenance mode for a number of years is disturbing. Maybe it
is the thought of a stagnant project or maybe it is the thought that I
have made changes that I have not sent back to the community. Either
way, I am all for change if it helps share ideas through the community
and helps someone else out.

Just my 2 cents :-D
Post a link to the questionnaire and I will fill it out. I have not done
any major changes, but I will be willing to share what I have done if
anyone wants.

Chris Stackpole