I posted to the list some time ago about problems scaling Gmetad.  I
found that after passing some number of monitored nodes I was showing
nodes failed.

I've finally worked out the issue... my disk was the bottleneck.  It
appears that Gmetad serially updates RRDs for a node/cluster.  Unable to
tune around this I decided to use tmpfs with a special startup script
and cron job that rsync's the data out of tmpfs every 5 minutes.

Here's my startup script (executed by SMF on Solaris):

#!/usr/bin/bash
## SMF Start method for Gmetad
## -benr

if ( mount | grep "/opt/ganglia/data on swap" >/dev/null )
then
         echo "Tmpfs already mounted."
else
         echo "Mounting tmpfs..."
         chown nobody /opt/ganglia/data
         mount -F tmpfs -o size=100m,noxattr swap /opt/ganglia/data
fi

## Now sync the data in if its empty:

if [ -d /opt/ganglia/data/__SummaryInfo__/ ]
then
         echo "Cache primed, ready to start."
         chown -R nobody /opt/ganglia/data
else
         echo "Priming the cache..."
         /opt/csw/bin/rsync -at /opt/ganglia/data-disk/ /opt/ganglia/data/
         chown -R nobody /opt/ganglia/data
fi

## Finally, start ganglia:
/opt/ganglia/sbin/gmetad
#====================================

The cronjob to sync is simple:

# Sync gmetad ram-disk to physical-disk
#
5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,0 * * * * /opt/csw/bin/rsync -at
/opt/ganglia/data/ /opt/ganglia/data-disk/

The question I have for the list is... has anyone else run into this
bottleneck?  If so, how did you solve the issue?  I know several people
have multiple gmetad's out there, perhaps unnecessarily.  CPU usage and
disk consumption are low, its just doing a lot of IO.  My data/ dir is
only 27MB.

benr.