Hi.

A few time ago I wrote to the list asking about how to monitor a bunch
of machines. The problem I had (and I still have) is that the
"data_sources" were mixing, by this I mean, despite I declared 2
"data_sources" (porting and testing) with different list of machines,
they were duplicated in both sources. I imagine that this happened
because all the computers are in the same network with default
configuration, broadcast to IP address 239.2.11.71.

Later I found a IBM wiki page[1] where became clear that my problem was
with the proper configuration of the send and receive channels. In
another document[2], the information is little bit more explicit. But if
I simply put the machines in "mcast_join" field, the gmond does not send
any value, when it starts!

The configuration that I'm trying is something like this:
data_source "porting" swirl
data_source "testing" mars venus
The gmetad is running in "newt".

With the "/etc/gmond.conf" likes this:
/* Feel free to specify as many udp_send_channels as you like.  Gmond
  used to only support having a single channel */
udp_send_channel {
 mcast_join = newt
 port = 8649
 ttl = 1
}
I have not section "udp_recv_channel" since my machines just send data
to gmetad.

If I try to look at gmond with "newt$ telnet venus 8649", there is no
information at all.

Does anyone have an idea of it is happening?Am I missing something about
this channels?

Thanks

Marcelo Garcia

[1] http://www-941.ibm.com/collaboration/wiki/display/WikiPtype/ganglia