I'd say what you are seeing is what is expected. For example if you take a day worth of data 86400 sec at 15 sec resolution will give you 5760 daily data points. If you are drawing a daily graph that is e.g. 500 x 300 you will have to somehow consolidate all those data points. Ganglia uses Averaging for consolidation. You may be able to use MAX instead but I haven't actually tested it. Try adjusting the RRAs to use MAX instead of AVERAGE.

Hope that makes sense.

Vladimir