On 07/25/2013 07:37 PM, Nikhil wrote:
> gmond aggregator is the node which has all the metrics (all the
> gmond instances send the metrics to this gmond node), it need not be
> restarted every time a reporting node(clients) are added/removed. The
> problem happens when the aggregator node goes down; clients will not
> be able to send the metrics then, so the choice would be to configure
> multiple aggregators(lets say 2) and have them listed in
> udp_send_channels of gmond configuration of every node. This means
> all gmond clients will be sending the metrics simultaneously to both
> the aggregators. Looking around got me got this links for better
> explanation with pictures.
>
> http://books.google.co.in/books?id=X9haRQi85hkC&lpg=PA21&ots=n531RMIaSr&dq=ganglia%20unicast%20topology&pg=PA22#v=onepage&q=ganglia%20unicast%20topology&f=false
thanks for info! I just ordered locally this book :)

> These aggregators can then be used as source for metric data  by
> gmetad.conf. Since both nodeA and nodeB both have the same view of
> the entire cluster metric, they would serve each other as a backup
> copy.
>
> for example: data_source  clusterC   nodeAipaddress:<gmondport>
> nodeBipaddress:<gmondport>
>
> gmetad always tries to connect only one node at a time and polls for
> the metric data on tcp. If nodeAipaddress goes down or is not
> reachable, gmetad will try the next node in the series that is nodeB,
> for redundancy.
k great!

> You may want to read this thread also to get an idea for you to
> consider the unicast topology you want to consider
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ganglia-general@lists.sourceforge.net/msg07265.html
interesting mail (too bad that it didn't got an answer)

At this point i am thinking to have a layers of aggregators (at the edge
of clusters).. i would make the cluster gmonds (usually the gmonds on
the torque and slurm servers) to join another multicast address than the
one used inside the clusters together with 1 or 2 central gmonds (as
datasurces to gmetad) to create a separate layer of traffic.

I have only 100+ servers and in the near future i will not go over 200..
Could the mcast chatter be a problem for the network?
gmond estimate a bandwidth of 60 bytes/s per node and i have 3 clusters
and a few separate nodes .. i would estimate in the upper gmond layer an
chatter at the level of tens of k...
Is this workable and efficient?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Adrian