Hi Adrian,

Looks like the mcast configuration you are intending to use, should work.
Besides the number of nodes, its the number of metrics from each node and
overall, the payload per metric data that should also be taken into
consideration.
Also, as I said, I would use a mix and match of deaf/listener gmond nodes
so you do not really have to tax all the gmond instances for unnecessary
processing of the metric data.

Let me know how it goes, I would be interested to know your setup
challenges.

You may also want to look at considering rrdcached if that helps with some
of the disk contention issues, however after rolling out the initial layout
and observing for any performance issues. rrdcached requires to be at only
gmetad/web, so thats a simple change to do.