Hi,

I may be completely wrong, but usually there are no rrd files stored on
the gmond headnode but on the gmetad system which collects the data from
the headnode.

What works for me in a gmond cluster environment:

1) All gmond.conf files within the cluster are equal. This includes your
headnode which needs to point to itself for data collection!
1b) You _may_ want to adjust the deaf and mute values - I use always the
defaults and it works fine for me.
2) Make sure that you have something like the following in your gmond.conf
file:

cluster {
        name = "My-Non-Default-Cluster"
        owner = "unspecified"