From: "Juno Gator" <broadreach...@earthlink.net>
Sender: gatorn...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:08:45
To: <gatorn...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [gatornews] Gatornews from Miami Herald and Palm Beach Post courtesy
        of JunoGator

Florida State knocks Florida out of the College World Series

Port St. Lucie's McGee saves Seminoles

By Greg Echlin   Special to the Palm Beach Post

The Florida State Seminoles are still breathing in the College World Series
at the expense of their cross-state rivals, the third-seeded Florida Gators,
at Rosenblatt Stadium. But not without some pressure packed moments in the
ninth inning.

FSU's 8-5 win over Florida marked the first time in four meetings at the CWS
the Seminoles prevailed, and the fourth win in five games against the Gators
this season.

The seventh-seeded Seminoles (48-19) will meet the loser of Monday's late
game between TCU and UCLA on Wednesday at 7 p.m. (EDT). In their sixth trip
to the CWS and the first since reaching the finals in 2005, the Gators
(47-17) were the first team eliminated this year.

FSU's top three long ball threats - Mike McGee, Tyler Holt and Stephen
Cardullo - provided the big blows. But FSU needed the relief pitching of
McGee, the junior right-hander from Port St. Lucie, to quell a three-run
ninth inning rally that could have been worse.

A one-out, bases-loaded line drive by Florida's Mike Zuzino was caught by
Cardullo at short, who threw to Palm Beach Central grad Devon Travis at
second for the game-ending double play.

It was McGee's 13th save of the season.

"Yeah, I was a little anxious and I was glad when it was over," said a
relieved head coach Mike Martin, whose Seminoles had a 8-2 lead entering the
ninth.

Martin also had some anxious moments in the first inning when West Boca grad
Brian Busch (6-2) started the game by walking the first two hitters. That
prompted a visit by Martin. "I looked into his eyes. I could see everything
was fine and said a prayer as I walked back to the bench," said Martin.

The only damage in the inning was a run-scoring single by freshman
designated hitter Austin Maddox.

Holt, a Gainesville High graduate, answered by leading off the bottom of the
first with a rocket to dead center, his 13th homer of the season, raising
his personal high after a total of eight in his freshman and sophomore
seasons. It also moved Holt into a tie for fifth in career runs scored (254)
at FSU with J.D. Drew. Holt later added two more runs to move past Drew.

"A win's a win whether it was Florida or if we were playing UCLA," Holt
said. "Either one of us is going home, so I'm glad we're staying around. We
got pushed out in freshman year by a rival (Miami). It feels really good to
be on the other side this time."

McGee launched the tie-breaking, three-run homer off Gator starter Hudson
Randall in the third, his 16th of the season. Then Cardullo added a solo
shot to center, his 11th this season, in the seventh.

Randall, the losing pitcher (8-4), was lifted after falling behind in the
count, 2-1, to Jayce Boyd, the seventh hitter to bat in FSU's three-run
third. It was Randall's shortest stint as a starter since March 27, when the
freshman right-hander lasted only an inning while giving up five runs
against Ole Miss.

"I think he got a little overheated. He just didn't quite seem himself.
That's why we took him out in the middle of the at-bat there," UF coach
Kevin O'Sullivan said.

Busch, the winning pitcher, walked four, surrendered two hits and retired
nine in a row at one point. He lasted 5 1/3 innings and struck out three.

"In the first inning, I could not control anything," Busch said. "Any time
you walk four guys in a game and give up only two runs, it's pretty
fortunate."

Joseph Goodman's Gator Clause  Fom the Miami Herald

Florida State ousts Gators from College World Series

GAINESVILLE -- An incredible season for the Florida Gators baseball team
came to end on Monday with an 8-5 loss to Florida State in an elimination
game at the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

Florida finished the season 47-17. The Gators' top accomplishments this
season included winning the Southeastern Conference regular-season title and
sweeping rival Miami in the Gainesville Super Regional.

The University of Florida was the only school this year to play in a BCS
bowl game, compete in the NCAA Tournament and play in the College World
Series.

-jo-

Read more:
<http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator_clause/2010/06/gators-have-chance-to-e
nd-florida-states-season.html#ixzz0ra8ZTo5C>
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator_clause/2010/06/gators-have-chance-to-en
d-florida-states-season.html#ixzz0ra8ZTo5C

McGee homers, earns save in FSU's 8-5 CWS win

By ERIC OLSON  Sports Writer

To Florida State's Mike McGee, pitching is hard work and hitting home runs
is fun.

He mixed business and pleasure Monday, leading the Seminoles to an 8-5
victory over Florida in a College World Series elimination game.

McGee hit a tie-breaking three-run homer in the third inning, laid down a
squeeze bunt in the fourth and moved in from left field to pick up the save
after Florida made things interesting in the ninth.

"Pitching, it's great to end the game and get the save. I like to be in
control," McGee said. "But hitting the home run is the best feeling there
is."

The Seminoles (48-19) will play TCU in an elimination game Wednesday night.
The Horned Frogs lost 6-3 to UCLA on Monday.

The Gators (47-17) lost for the fourth time in five meetings this season
with their Sunshine State rival.

Florida State took an 8-2 lead into the ninth inning but had to bring in
McGee from the outfield after Preston Tucker's bases-loaded double into the
right-field corner drove in three runs.

McGee gave up a single to Austin Maddox and hit Matt den Dekker, loading the
bases with one out. Shortstop Stephen Cardullo caught Mike Zunino's line
drive and flipped to second baseman Devon Travis for a game-ending double
play.

McGee, who earned his 13th save and hit his team-leading 16th homer, said he
lucked out. The pitch Zunino hit was a mistake.

"It was supposed to be a slider down in the dirt, something completely
unhittable," McGee said. "It slipped out of my hand. As soon as I let go of
it I felt it come up and I was, 'Oh, oh.' He hit it well. I heard a glove
pop. That was a good way to get out of a game."

Florida coach Kevin O'Sullivan, whose team left 10 runners on base, leaped
to his feet when Zunino's line drive left the bat.

"I was hoping it would go a little left or a little right," O'Sullivan said.
"He put a good wing on it. We put together a good inning there. We hit a lot
of balls right at them. If we played them tomorrow maybe we would hit balls
that would find their way through."

The Seminoles had 14 hits, with Tyler Holt and Jayce Boyd getting three
apiece.

McGee's homer broke a 1-1 tie after Florida starter Hudson Randall walked
two batters in the third. Randall (8-4) went 2 2-3 innings, allowing four
runs and four hits with two walks.

The Seminoles got home runs from Holt and Cardullo. Holt's 13th of the
season led off the bottom of the first inning, and Cardullo's 11th started
the seventh.

Left-hander Brian Busch (6-2) went 5 1-3 innings and held the Gators to two
runs and two hits, including Jonathan Pigott's homer in the fifth. Busch
walked four.

Busch walked Nolan Fontana and Josh Adams to start the game and gave up an
RBI single to Maddox. Busch retired the Gators in order in the second and
third and doubled off den Dekker in the fourth when he caught the first of
Zunino's two line-drive double plays.

Busch went to the fifth with a 5-1 lead after McGee laid down a bunt toward
first base, allowing Holt to score from third on the safety squeeze.

"In the first inning I couldn't control anything," Busch said. "Any time you
walk four guys and give up two runs, you're pretty fortunate."

Relievers Geoff Parker and Bennett held the Gators scoreless until Tucker's
double in the ninth.

Then it was time to call on McGee.

"We've got the man in the game that we want in the game, because he's been
there so many times," Florida State coach Mike Martin said. "But, yeah, I
was a little anxious. I was glad when it was over."

Read more:
<http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/21/v-print/1693061/mcgee-homers-earns-sa
ve-in-fsus.html#ixzz0raBKsL3N>
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/21/v-print/1693061/mcgee-homers-earns-sav
e-in-fsus.html#ixzz0raBKsL3N

Saints release DE McCray

By Sports Network
The Sports Network

The New Orleans Saints have released defensive end Bobby McCray.

McCray, 28, signed with the Saints as an unrestricted free agent in 2008.
The Florida product started eight of 32 regular-season games the past two
years, registering 59 tackles and 7 1/2 sacks.

He started all three playoff games last season.

McCray played the first four seasons of his career with Jacksonville.

The Saints also waived cornerback Glenn Sharpe.

Read more:
<http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/21/v-print/1692630/saints-release-de-mcc
ray.html#ixzz0raB5uNj8>

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us